Sunday, 2 October 2016

A630.8.3.RB - Build a Tower, Build a Team



 A630.8.3.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_Build a Tower, Build a Team

Tom Wujec’s analysis of why kindergartners perform better is spot on. I actually did this exercise not too long ago in a team building event for work and the same results from the MBA students were produced from the “TA DA” moment to the “UH OH!” moment. The reason was you had a bunch of adults in a team who all wanted to be the leader and give direction without actually taking a step back and analyzing and working as a cohesive unit. Brown (2011) describes Individual Functions that satisfy the needs of individuals to the group’s task and maintenance. In my experience towards this exercise we all needed to fulfill what we thought was the right way to build the structure with the marshmallow at the top.  

Kids will be able to perform better because as a kid you are not worried about the end state of the project. You are out there to have fun and keeping it competitive at the same time. Kids bring a certain kind of attitude when it comes to tasks or objectives. I remember putting kids through an exercise which required them to carry a bowl of marbles in a bucket and spill that bucket (only using a bungee cord) into a jar. When the adults tried it prior to the kids, with the same rules applying, the kids came out on top. They (the kids) all agreed to accomplishing one task, whereas the adults kept arguing on whose idea was better. The kids possessed what Brown (2011) described as having a group task function. Which is each member of the group contributing and agreeing on how to me the end task that was given. (p. 201)

In my view CEOs are better functioning with an assistant compared to a group of CEOs is because they are used to the recommendation and advisement from their assistants rather than the orders being barked by the CEOs. Take myself for example, if I had a subordinate with me in a team and he recommended something to me I’ll take it into consideration and apply it taking into consideration the knowledge, experience, and expertise. Whereas if another person who is in with the same rank who I know either has less experience but with more attitude and a demanding approach I would give that person the cold shoulder and tasks will never be accomplished. Decuyper, Dochy, & Van den Bossche, (2010 ) described what is called “ “Co-construction” which is the mutual process of developing shared knowledge and building shared meaning by refining, building on, or modifying an original offer in some way.” (p. 125)

If I was to host a work shop and relate this video to process intervention skills I would come up with other activities and see how the teams function in these specific team building exercises. I would emphasize the concept of team work amongst the individuals. Brown (2011) discusses about group task functions, maintenance, and to include individual roles in order to establish a team based event. (p. 202) I would also discuss and share the stories of what Wujec discussed about the comparison of Kindergartners and Adults and explain the reasons why the come out on top compared to most adults. Better yet I would introduce the kids to the participants and have the kids compete to show and establish a common ground as to why things folded out the way they do.

What I can take and immediately use in my career is the concept of communication and team work. Without these two key qualities things in an organization, the organization would not flourish. Sometimes we as leaders really just need to take a step back and analyze what we are up against. If you are the one who is in charge take a consensus of what is being recommended, and conduct further analysis and communicate amongst your team to let them know your final decision. This is what ill take with me in my young career and hope to establish some sort of common ground amongst my peers all aiming to meet the organization’s vision and goals.




References:
Brown, D. R. (2011). An Experiential Approach to Organization Development (8th ed.). Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

Decuyper, S., Dochy, F., & Van den Bossche, P. (2010). Grasping the dynamic complexity of team learning: An integrative model for effective team learning in organisations. Educational Research Review, 5(2), 111-133. doi:10.1016/j.edurev.2010.02.002

No comments:

Post a Comment