Sunday, 4 September 2016

A630.4.3.RB - How Companies Can Make Better Decisions

A630.4.3.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_How Companies Can Make Better Decisions



Employee engagement relates to decision effectiveness by having employees understand what the goals are for the organization, by making them a reality, and being able to understand the changes that may come from the decisions made. When you have the employees feel a part of the organization they (leaders) can influence the buy-in from the decision effectiveness. Roberts & Wood (2010) described that “When staff throughout an organization know who makes decisions and know how decisions are made, good things happen.” (p. 192) when I was in charge of the NCO school house in my organization which staffed 9 personnel, I always informed them in what went on in my meetings with the higher echelons in my organization.

I always took their recommendations into account and brought the issues to those meetings. When I come back with the reports I notify them this is the restrictions, alternatives, and solutions that came out of the meeting. Although the decisions made weren’t favored the employee engagement and participation was high, because they knew they had a say whether they were listened too or not their voices were heard.

Some impediments to good decision making is personal feelings, relationships, and affiliations within the organization. Brown (2011) discusses selective perception as the selectivity of information given or received. Information would be ignored or not given attention because it may conflict with others or ideas. (p. 97) this concept that Brown shared is something that I have experienced myself. I had a best friend from high school in my unit and had to make a decision on his career because of the violation he had committed. I was blind to the facts, slow at the decision making, and wanted to put no effort in making the right decision. I actually did make the right decision and ensured the discipline was handed down accordingly, however, through that particular experience of making personal feelings cloud my decision making. I learned from it and took it with me in my career and now I am able execute decisions at will so long as it benefits the organization.

If there was one element that I can add it is accountability. Dive (2008) stated “Lack of true accountability causes excessive cost, both economic and psychological, de-motivation in those who work for the organization, dissatisfaction in those served by it, and sub-optimal performance in general.” (p. 12) Accountability to the decisions made not only puts those who make the decisions in check but prevents the finger pointing in the organization which will bring distrust and stalling in making the other decisions for the organization. I always inform my subordinates to own their decisions and be accountable whether successful or not. It shows a true definition of a leader because it shows those under you that you are trustworthy and reliable.

What I can take immediately and use in my career is Marcia Blenko’s four elements of decision making. I actually will print this out and put into my wallet and use as a guideline for myself and some of my peers. To be able to provide quality, fast, thought out, and good effort into making decisions I think will amaze some of my superiors most of all my subordinates. This is a great tool for all to follow.

I would also caution to myself that realistically that I may need practice before taking this into consideration. I don’t want to go guns blazing and fail, for I know this is a great tool as I stated earlier.

I would research a little bit more into Marcia Blenkos work and guidance to effective decision making.

References:
Brown, D. R. (2011). An Experiential Approach to Organization Development (8th ed.). Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

Dive, B., & Books24x7, I. (2008). The accountable leader: Developing effective leadership through managerial accountability (1st ed.). London;Philadelphia;: Kogan Page.

Roberts, K., & Wood, D. (2010). How organizations make decisions. Feliciter, 56(5), 192. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/759966705?accountid=27203

No comments:

Post a Comment