When I first started my career I was influenced by a
lot of my senior subordinates who spoke to me about change, on how change was
bad for our unit, and the list could reach to “100 reasons not to change.” Majority
of the resistance to change was that it did not benefit them individually or as
a small group. Brown (2011) stated “when a change causes employees to feel
pressured, they may interpret the change as a loss of individual security.”
(p.152) Not too many people especially coming from a small organization where
majority of your subordinates are either your relative or knows your family can
accept change so easily. The presentation of “50 reasons not to change” is pin
point on the excuses I have heard when it came to upcoming policy changes,
physical fitness standards, and uniform policy. However, just like in
discussion video all you need is that small group to follow you and change can
be seen as “good.” Johnson
(1998) wrote “The more adept we become at “speculating about, or trying to
anticipate future events”, the more effective we will become, individually or organizationally.
(p. 142)
I don’t want
to say I use any of those excuses but I have thought about them in some way or
another. Yet, I don’t think its about “change” in its purity but just the
knowing that changes to my organization don’t make any sense and there are
other alternatives or ways of accomplishing the organization goals. I am the
type of leader who believes that if “works” lets try to improve it instead of
making worse or breaking it.
Breaking
down the barriers of the thought process from the presentation given is to
simply provide the leadership necessary notifying your subordinates that
regardless of change we have to embrace it. A lot of the reasons why from my
experience that change is so hard to accept is the fear of the unknown. Brown
(2011) discussed that the “lack of information and understanding to what is
going on in the organization leads to rumors, speculation, and insecurity.” (p.
152) So when it comes to changes in my organization I always try to research
the upcoming changes and speak the truth to my subordinates, although
resistance does occur, I always notify them that it doesn’t just affect you as
the individual, but us as a team, and we will get over the obstacles together.
When it
comes to Seth Godin’s concept, Yes, I do believe that tribes can influence
change. I am the perfect example of it. My mentor put together a small team to
influence physical fitness in a climate that is resistant to doing personal
physical fitness. We simply made it fun and showed the rewards at the end of maintaining
physical fitness standards and exceeding it. When a small group of individuals
see something that works and has rewards, they initially want to flock and be a
part of it. It simply just comes down to communication in my eyes. Karp&
Helgo (2008) state that
“Leaders should find
ways of leading change that influence the development and direction
of change by changing the ongoing communication in the organization. (p. 91)
What I can
take from this exercise is that having a small group or tribe and being
successful together in the wake of change can influence others to follow suit
and be successful as well. Going against the norm, breaking away from the
crowd, and doing things that are beneficial not just for the organization but
for the team as well. I would give creating tribes a shot where we looks at the
rules and try to either make it better or have us become better as a team or
tribe.
Will leaders
target tribes and try to make their lives miserable who don’t agree with their
vision and goals and see them successful?
How would a
new leader break the excuses to change? Or try to change the mindset of change
being negative?
References:
Brown, D. R. (2011). An Experiential
Approach to Organization Development (8th ed.). Saddle River, NJ: Prentice
Hall.
Johnson, J. R. (1998). Embracing change: A leadership
model for the learning organisation. International Journal of Training and
Development, 2(2), 141-150. doi:10.1111/1468-2419.00042
Karp, T., & Helgø, T. I. T. (2008). From change
management to change leadership: Embracing chaotic change in public service
organizations. Journal of Change Management, 8(1), 85-96.
doi:10.1080/14697010801937648
No comments:
Post a Comment